Lady Finger Solantulem is a dry preparation of lady fingers using kokam [Garcinia Indica]. What you get is a minimally spiced tangy vegetable preparation that can be eaten with Indian bread or can be served as a side with rice. It is quick and easy to make.
Serves: 6 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins.
Cooking Time: 12 Mins.
- Lady Fingers (small) – 24
- Onion (finely chopped) – 2 medium
- Tomato (finely chopped) – 1 medium
- Light Green Chillies (slit) – 3
- Kokam – 6 to 8 petals
- Palm Vinegar – 1 tbsp. (optional)
- Turmeric – 1 tsp. or to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 1 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Wash the lady fingers and wipe them dry. Snip off the top and bottom. Place in a vessel in which you want to cook them and apply the salt. Add all the other chopped ingredients and the kokam. Sprinkle the turmeric powder over them and place the vessel on low heat.
Step 2: Drizzle the oil and give the vegetable a mix. Add 100 ml hot water. Cook covered on medium low heat for 10 to 12 minutes till the okra / bhende (lady fingers) are done. The lady fingers should have a crunch and should not be overdone.