The Prawn and Raw Mango Curry is a Goan specialty made when mangoes are in season (you can also peel and store the raw mangoes in the refrigerator for later use). The curry is a mildy spiced and tangy coconut curry. The mango provides the acidity to the curry, while the prawns and coconut make the curry flavoursome and creamy. You can relish this lip smacking curry with hot rice and you will be left licking your fingers at the end of your meal (That is, if you eat with your fingers 😛 )
For more recipes using Mango, click here
Serves: A Family of Four.
Prep. Time: 20 Mins.
Cooking Time: 18 to 20 Mins.
[Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml.]
- Raw Mango (peeled & sliced) – 1 medium sized (sour variety)
- Prawns (cleaned & deveined) – ½ cup
- For the Masala:
- Coconut (grated) – 1 cup (tightly packed)
- Bedgi Red Chillies (stemmed) – 6 to 8
- Kashmiri Red Chillies (stemmed) – 2
- Corriander Seeds – 1 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Tomato (chopped) – 1 small
- Onion (chopped) – ½ of medium sized
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Turmeric – ½ tsp.
- Onion (finely chopped) – ½ of medium sized
- Thick Coconut Milk (see here) – ½ cup
- Green Chillies (slit) – 2
- Sea Salt – 1 ½ tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Apply 1 tsp. salt to the sliced raw mango and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Step 2: Apply ½ tsp. salt to the prawns and keep aside.
Step 3: Grind all the ingredients listed under masala with ½ tsp. turmeric to a fine paste using 150 ml water.
Step 4: Take a vessel suitable to make the curry. Add the chopped onion and sprinkle ½ tsp. salt on it. Mix well with your fingers. Then add the prawns, the raw mango and the ground masala to the vessel. Rinse your grinder (mixie) jar with 1 cup water and add this water to the vessel.
Step 5: Add another ½ cup of water and place the vessel on low heat. Let the curry simmer till the raw mango turns soft (around 15 minutes).
Step 5: Check for salt and add if required. Then add the thick coconut milk and simmer on low heat without allowing the curry to come to a boil (stir in between) for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 6: Add the green chillies, cover and switch off the heat. Leave for at least 5 minutes before serving.