The Mangalorean halwa curry is a rich and delicious curry. Make sure you get fresh fish as this will enhance the flavour of your curry. The curry is best served with hot rice.
Serves: 6 to 8 Persons
Prep. Time: 30 Mins.
Cooking Time: 25 to 30 Mins.
[Standard Measure – 1 cup = 200 ml.]
- Halwa / Black Pomfret – 600 gms (cleaned & cut)
- For the Masala:
- Coconut (grated) – ½ (1 ¼ cup)
- Onion – 1 medium
- Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves
- Kashmiri Red Chillies (deseeded) – 7 to 8
- Spicy Short Red Chillies [Pandi, Guntur] – 3 to 4
- Corriander Seeds – 2 tbsp.
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp.
- Mustard Seeds – ¼ tsp.
- Black Peppercorns – 10
- Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
- Tamarind – 1 small lime sized ball
- Onion (sliced) – 2 big
- Green Chillies (stemmed & broken) – 2
- Thick Coconut Milk – ½ cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp.
- Salt – 2 tsp. or to taste
Step 1: Wash the fish thoroughly. Apply 2 tsp. salt and leave aside for 30 minutes.
Step 2: Grind all the ingredients listed under masala to a fine paste with a little water.
Step 3: Heat the oil in a vessel and fry the sliced onions till browned. Add the ground masala and fry for another 3 to 4 minutes on low heat.
Step 4: Add 3 cups of water or more depending on the consistency of the gravy you need and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat, drain the fish (do not add the water that was released) and add to the gravy and cook covered on low heat for 6 to 8 minutes.
Step 5: Check for salt and add if required. Finally add the green chillies and the coconut milk and cook covered on low heat for 2 minutes and then switch off the heat.